Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Oscar predictions.

The Academy Awards have descended upon Hollywood. The "be all end all" award ceremony will be even more exciting to watch this year with the fantastic movies/actors and actress' nominated.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader and Slumdog Millionare are all vying for the coveted title of Best Picture.
My prediction: the big winner will be the little film that could, Slumdog Millionare. The low budget flick filmed in Mombai has created an absolute sensation. I also love that the children of the film were actual natives to the area and will be in attendance tonight...talk about heartwarming.

For Best Actress in a Leading Role, I am going with Kate Winslet, hands down. While Winslet is nominated for The Reader officially, she SHOULD have been nominated for her performance in Revolutionary Road. I do also give a nod at the incomparable Meryl Streep for Doubt, and also to Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married. Hathaway will certainly have her moment in the sun soon.

For Best Actor in a Leading Role, I am going to say Sean Penn. I know that comeback kid Mickey Rouke is the favorite here for The Wrestler, but I simply think Penn deserves the golden man for his stunning portrayal of Harvey Milk in Milk.

Best Director will go to Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionare...no question in my book.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role is a little tougher to guess. I would venture a guess that it will be between Penelope Cruz for Vicky Christina Barcelona, Viola Davis for Doubt and Marisa Tomei for The Wrestler. Out of the three, I'm going with Viola Davis for her short-but powerful performance.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role will most likely and respectfully go to the late Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight. While I think Ledger MADE the most recent Batman film, I also LOVED long shot Michael Shannon for his humorous, brutally honest and shocking performance in Revolutionary Road. I also carry a flame for Robert Downie Jr...maybe next time Mr. Handsome...


With less than an hour to go until show time, I better hurry up a post my predictions. I will be posting as winners are announced and of course on the dresses and after parties!

No comments: