Sunday, March 15, 2009

A drizzly Saturday evening in the District

Saturday evening I set out with my friend Ali to pre-celebrate her birthday at Zaytinya, Jose Andres's Greek, Lebanese and Turkish creation. Now, I am a HUGE fan of Zantinya. I love the atmosphere, I love being in Chinatown for the buzzing few blocks that it is...and the restaurant happens to be home to one of my fave dishes in DC: Hunkar Begendi (Turkish braised lamb shank w/eggplant-kefalograviera puree). Ali and I indulged with Greek spreads, grape leaves, great cocktails and even better entrees (the above and she chose the crab cakes, which she loved).
After a quick stop to pick up some friends, we (very shortly) visited the Capitol Club's Shamrock soiree and then just as quickly got lost and accidentally ended up near Ibiza nightclub before quickly fixing our situation.
Good to be back in the District.
* Update: On a humorous note, apparently Gloria Estefan was at Zaytinya while I was there. I got a kick out of that when I read it*

No comments: