Saturday, April 4, 2009

Inspiration: Pop Pop Pop Pop

I typically limit myself when speaking about art for the simple reason of that I could go on forever. Tonight, I feel like indulging myself.


(Above: Self Portrait 1966. Jackie II 1966. (Images: MoMa)

Hands down, Pop Art is my favorite movement in Modern Art.
The Pop Movement reflected the takeover of mass culture in society, signifying a loss of innocence and authenticity. This feeling of being swamped in mass culture was never better depicted than in the work of Andy Warhol.

Warhol let in conformity with open arms, saying, "...Isn't it great? We can all be the same..."
Through his iconic "Factory" he made everyone part of the mass culture assembly line.
I could write forever to no end on the mysteries of Andy Warhol, but I will leave on this note...Warhol, the genius that he was, through his personality, silkscreens and films in fact BECAME a silkscreen himself. Amidst his extreme popularity the "real" Andy Warhol became just another part of popular culture; just another silkscreen.
Boy, I wish I could interview Warhol...
(Photo below from ArtNet of Warhol, his muse Edie Sedgwick and Chuck Wein)


The Pop Movement inspires me immensely, but Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgwick are gods to me! Gah, I wish I could have been alive for the Factory!


(Photo: BrightestYoungThings)

No comments: